The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Repo: The Genetic Opera

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #145640  by Mully
 Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 am
Has anyone checked Repo: The Genetic Opera out? It was really good; stylized and funny. Didn't mind that EVERYTHING was sung. It felt like Aladdin meets prog-rock meets Sweeny Todd (don't let that reference sway you to the "i hate musicals" side...).

At least check out the trailer:

The new 1 star movie Repo Men is a direct knock-off of it, maybe even a remake.
 #145643  by Mully
 Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:51 am
Here is the intro and the opening song...this is where I got hooked!

#145652  by RentCavalier
 Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:31 pm
I thought I'd made a topic about this awhile ago...might be my imagination. But yeah, Repo is hella awesome, one of the better rock operas we've seen in recent years, and the movie is gory as fuck. Really great times.
 #145661  by Mully
 Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 am
I searched, but didn't see anything.
 #145668  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm
I've had this on my HDD for over a year. I really should get around to watching it sometime soon....
 #146030  by Shellie
 Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:17 pm
Have to say I loved this movie! The style and the music were awesome. I could even stand Paris Hilton in it.

I'm trying to get Sine to watch it with me..but he HATES musicals. Even though it's just like listening to a concept album cd..with pictures! :)
 #146048  by Mully
 Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 pm
Just tell him it is a concept album that someone edited a movie to match...like they do with all the Final Fantasy "music" videos on youtube.
 #146059  by Shrinweck
 Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:03 pm
It's a concept album where the heroes break into song... Hmmm, I can see his issue here.
 #146073  by Shellie
 Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 am
I got him to watch it last night, he didnt last very long :/ His loss.

As awesome as this movie is, you do have to be able to watch movies like Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago, etc..
 #146082  by Shrinweck
 Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm
Wait, who in the world can't sit through Little Shop of Horrors at least once?
 #146089  by SineSwiper
 Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 pm
I hate Little Shop and Rocky Horror both, despite the cult status. I also hated all of the music bits in the South Park movie. I hate musicals.

No, they are not "concept albums put to a movie". Concept albums have awesome music. This was nothing but singing on top of bad music. I mean, it wasn't just a musical, but an OPERA. Shit, you mean every single piece of fucking dialog has to involve singing?! Ugh.
 #151215  by Mully
 Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:49 pm
Watched REPO MEN this weekend. I'm not defending it, but it seems to be an homage and not a direct remake. As the name implies there are many REPO MEN, rather than one. The singer (blind meg) is still blind, even the cityscape wasn't "good" CG, but they did it on purpose to match R:GO. Remake/homage, whatever, it wouldn't have a 1 star review in my opinion. It was different.