The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Django Unleashed

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #159277  by Eric
 Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:34 am
This is the black version of Inglourious Basterds, I enjoyed it more then I should have.

Although my one complaint about Jamie Foxx's character is that he was actually exceptional, to the point where the slaves around him even stood in awe of his antics with the audience heh.
 #159278  by Flip
 Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 am
How long was it? I want to get out there and see it since i love pretty much all things QT, but i have a hard time sitting around for 2+ hours without being able to pause and move around a little nowadays.

I waited for DVD with Inglorious Basterds and still think i got the full experience.
 #159280  by Eric
 Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 pm
2 hrs. 45 min lol.
 #159281  by Flip
 Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:16 pm
Ugh, maybe if i bring a flask itll be better. :P
 #159289  by SineSwiper
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:22 am
So? Most of the Batman movies were 2:30. I like longer movies.

Some dipshit on NBC was reporting about "Neverending Stories" with movies and longer run times. Sorry, but if a movie ends up being past 2 hours, it's usually a good thing. If they can't even find enough material to make a 90 minute film, it's not worth my time.

Also, Spike Lee doesn't like this film, because of, errr... blacks and slaves and some crap. Like, god forbid if a white director makes a film with well-developed black characters in a period of slavery. Racist prick should DIAF.
 #159293  by Anarky
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 am
My girlfriends biggest concern about this movie is the use of the N-word over 85 times. Thoughts?
 #159294  by Shrinweck
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 am
There are so many good movies under ninety minutes that I'm not sure how to respond to that...

I don't care what Spike Lee thinks about anything much less a movie that he hasn't even seen, but using that word that many times is purely antagonistic and has no ultimately positive impact, even if you view it as rhetoric attached to terrible atrocities. Even if you take words as ultimately meaningless, the fact that they still affect people in such a negative way signifies that they shouldn't be used recklessly. The film industry as a whole not properly understanding race is something I can entirely live with, but language (and thus the morality attached to it) is their province.

Also Cloud Atlas is just as long and similarly racially insulting and I'm not really even talking about white actors in 'yellowface' to be made into Asians.
 #159296  by Flip
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am
Your avatar has a guy in yellowface
 #159297  by Eric
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 am
He was a fuckin slave in 1858, what do you think white slave owning plantation owners called black people back then? lol. Slaves were programmed to call each other that as well. -_-

The use of the N-Bomb in that film was properly handled.

White people don't feel guilty for enjoying this film, you can enjoy this film, none of the black people I know who have seen this movie were offended by the 118 N-Bombs.
 #159298  by Shrinweck
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:36 pm
Flip wrote:Your avatar has a guy in yellowface
He's Asian :P

And I wasn't saying people should feel guilty for enjoying the film since I haven't seen it either, I was talking about the use of language being potentially irresponsible. There's an argument that slavery is an atrocity that speaks for itself. I'm probably not going to see the film since his stuff is very hit or miss for me and I'm just not interested.
 #159299  by Eric
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:23 pm
I take it you didn't watch Kick-Ass for similar reasons?
 #159300  by Oracle
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm
I saw the movie yesterday.

Really enjoyed it. Yes, it's violent (it's QT, WTF do people expect?). Yes, it's racist (QT has been no stranger to racism in past movies, either). And yes, the racism is used appropriately for the era the movie takes place in - all the while demonizing the racist plantation owners and slavers in the movie (and rightly so).

As for movies over 2 hours: Yes, movies can be really good while being over 2 hours. I will say, however, that there were probably a couple of scenes that could have been left on the cutting room floor, or made shorter. I thought the movie was going to end on 3 different occasions. Still a good movie, though.
 #159301  by Shrinweck
 Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm
Eric wrote:I take it you didn't watch Kick-Ass for similar reasons?
No, that's a comic book that I had been following so I watched it.. Also Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass director and writer) is more hit and... neutral? I don't know, I don't dislike anything by him that I've seen. I'm not really sure how Kick-Ass factors into anything I've said, though. The movie that I dislike the most by Vaughn is X-Men: First Class which is arguably still a good movie.

Edit: Also Kick-Ass is a fun, mostly meaningless movie. Yes there are some points it's trying to make but it's a very superficial movie and taking it for more than that is probably a mistake. Quentin Tarantino seems to enjoy having deeper meanings in his movies, so reading into them and expecting things out of them shouldn't be a completely foreign concept. Part of that is the creation of discourse, which is never an innately negative thing. Look, it wasn't my intention to pan this movie that I admittedly haven't seen or say anything about its quality so I wasn't really expecting flak over it.. I'm just remarking on what I've been told about its use of language and what that means to some people.

Anarky asked for thoughts on an issue so I gave them.. I'm not shitting on the movie you enjoyed as much as I'm commenting on what it apparently symbolizes. Don't put the words and thoughts of all the people who are up in arms about it on me. I'm mostly just arguing their point. Film should be a medium that challenges people and gets them talking.. something Quentin Tarantino basically never fails at.
 #159307  by SineSwiper
 Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:19 pm
Agreed with Eric and the use of the word nigger. Not "The N-Word", but "nigger". It's just a fucking word. I said FUCKING. I say fuck all the time. Why not nigger?

Nigger, nigger, nigger. Cracker ass cracker. Honky tonk motherfucker. Yellow faced chink.

I'm appalled that there are words that people are more concerned about using than FUCK. (Also, the King's Speech is awesome; you should watch it if you haven't already.)
 #159309  by kali o.
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 am
Eric wrote:White people don't feel guilty for enjoying this film, you can enjoy this film, none of the black people I know who have seen this movie were offended by the 118 N-Bombs.
Cool, if anyone gives me shit, I'll tell em Eric gave me the OK.

As for Spike Lee, when was the last time he was relevant? 1995 or 1996?

And finally, I don't say the n-word. I'm not cool using the c-word either (asian). I also don't feel comfortable using cunt, jew and spic. I suppose I have trouble with any word I can only use when pissed off and ugly. I really can't imagine tossing any of those out in normal conversation. I don't give a shit if I am exposed to those words in media though.
 #159310  by Oracle
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 am
And also, the title is Django Unchained, not Unleashed :p
 #159315  by Flip
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:57 pm
kali o. wrote: And finally, I don't say the n-word. I'm not cool using the c-word either (asian). I also don't feel comfortable using cunt, jew and spic. I suppose I have trouble with any word I can only use when pissed off and ugly. I really can't imagine tossing any of those out in normal conversation. I don't give a shit if I am exposed to those words in media though.
Agreed on pretty much all your points, thats how i feel about all those words. I'm also trying to get rid of retard in my casual vocabulary. I thought this letter was great to Ann Coulter, who uses retard a little too freely all the time:

http://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.co ... n-coulter/
 #159316  by Don
 Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm
I think the argument about being 'in character' is pretty hypocritical since if you have any historical whatever (real or fiction) and you go back even a few hundred years, it's going to be really hard to understand what anyone's saying just due to having a different set of vocabulary in general. Old English isn't just Thou. Romance of the Three Kingdom was written in partly the Confucian Chinese and there's no way even 10% of the Chinese now would have any clue what it's saying because it might as well be a different language even though all the characters are the same. I remember seeing an article pointing out that if everything is written as how people would've said these things way back you would end up with a product nobody's interested in reading/watching because everything would some horrendously antiquiated.
 #159529  by Flip
 Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm
Finally saw the movie and it was good, but i liked Basterds better. I really didnt feel all that much animosity towards the bad guy to the extent that i wanted to see him killed. He's a businessman who was about to get totally and royally screwed... I also think they dragged out the ending and should have found a better way to end it. Yeah, the more i think about it, it had a bad ending.

Also, i'm glad we all ignored Sine on his ridiculous rant a few posts up. Youre pretty lucky you are in decent company who knows what to tolerate from you.
 #159535  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:05 am
Flip wrote:Also, i'm glad we all ignored Sine on his ridiculous rant a few posts up. Youre pretty lucky you are in decent company who knows what to tolerate from you.
Publically, I'm in good company.
 #159536  by SineSwiper
 Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 am
Don wrote:I think the argument about being 'in character' is pretty hypocritical since if you have any historical whatever (real or fiction) and you go back even a few hundred years, it's going to be really hard to understand what anyone's saying just due to having a different set of vocabulary in general. Old English isn't just Thou. Romance of the Three Kingdom was written in partly the Confucian Chinese and there's no way even 10% of the Chinese now would have any clue what it's saying because it might as well be a different language even though all the characters are the same. I remember seeing an article pointing out that if everything is written as how people would've said these things way back you would end up with a product nobody's interested in reading/watching because everything would some horrendously antiquiated.
Shakespeare. But, yeah, he's the exception that proves the rule.

However, QT can still throw in a few choice words/phrases that people DO recognize to appeal to the historical era without completely alienating your audience. Everything doesn't have to be black and white. And yes, one of those words happens to be something that stirs up the shit, but hey, QT is good at that, too.