The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Have any of you guys seen Movie 43?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #160300  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:22 am
Very much NOT what you think. Very rude and crude humour (imagine a Farrelly Bros film turned up a bunch of notches) in a series of 5-7 minute shorts (8-10 I think) starring a bunch of A-list (Gerard Butler, Richard Gere, Hugh Jackman, Halle Barry, Kate Winslet...and A LOT more) and B-List (Terrance Howard, Anna Farris, Sean William Scott, Christopher Mintz-Platte..and A LOT more) actors.

Very much a guy's film, it'll really depend on much rude and crude you like because there's pretty much no punches pulled here. It's very much a love it or hate it film
 #160302  by Flip
 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am
Zeus wrote:It's very much a love it or hate it film
So, what was your opinions? (so we can choose the opposite)
 #160303  by Zeus
 Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:17 am
My opinion is, since it's such a polarizing movie, to watch it and see for yourself and we'll discuss ;-)
 #160311  by Zeus
 Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:08 am
Eric wrote:I heard it was surprisingly bad considering how many celebs they threw @ it.
That's why I keep saying it's really up to the watcher. It's VERY rude and crude, like a Farrelly movie turned up a bunch of notches. If you don't like that, you won't like it. If you do, you may find it entertaining to see SO MANY celebrities involved (it's much more than you think; and no, Ben Stiller and the Frat Pack are nowhere to be seen). It's very, very, very much a love it or hate it film.

The reason I started this thread is we watched it on Thursday night and it was so different than what I thought and what I think so many people's impressions are of it that I think it's worth your 98 minutes to see such a unique film that you'll never, ever see again
 #160319  by SineSwiper
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:19 am
I have not seen it, but the reviews universally panned this movie as tired dreck. It will probably steal all of the Rassies this year. Based on the previews I've seen, it's pretty much what I feared: the jokes are all about being as outrageous as possible without being funny. The only remotely funny joke was the basketball players, which was at the END of the movie, and is really just an obvious "they are white, you are black" joke being sledgehammered into the viewer.

Kentucky Fried Movie was pretty good. This is not KFM.
 #160326  by Zeus
 Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:58 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I have not seen it, but the reviews universally panned this movie as tired dreck. It will probably steal all of the Rassies this year. Based on the previews I've seen, it's pretty much what I feared: the jokes are all about being as outrageous as possible without being funny. The only remotely funny joke was the basketball players, which was at the END of the movie, and is really just an obvious "they are white, you are black" joke being sledgehammered into the viewer.

Kentucky Fried Movie was pretty good. This is not KFM.
This movie is not one ANY critic is going to like. The vast majority of them are very biased against vulgar humour. Remember, most critics also hated Married With Children (Fox got a lot of flak over it) due to vulgarity and most vulgar-style comedies are routinely slammed by critics. Don't mean all of them are bad. And this one is so unique in its cast and vulgarity, you're never gonna know 'til you see it what it's really like.

And no, it's not just about being outrageous to the nth degree. But it is very, very over-the-top, much more than you think. If you don't like that, don't watch it because there's zero chance you'll like this movie. But if you like vulgar comedy, don't pass this one up as it's so unique as one and it's been so buried you never know if it resonates with you or not.

But hey, if you've already let other people make up your mind for you, then there's nothing more to be said
 #160341  by SineSwiper
 Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 am
Zeus wrote:This movie is not one ANY critic is going to like. The vast majority of them are very biased against vulgar humour.
Nah. I'll say that there is definitely only certain movies that the Oscars like, but the same isn't true about critics. Most are people like you and me that just like to watch movies. If there's a movie they like, no matter what the material, they would speak up.

Ted is a good example of a movie that was universally praised by critics, despite the subject matter.
 #160348  by Zeus
 Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm
SineSwiper wrote:
Zeus wrote:This movie is not one ANY critic is going to like. The vast majority of them are very biased against vulgar humour.
Nah. I'll say that there is definitely only certain movies that the Oscars like, but the same isn't true about critics. Most are people like you and me that just like to watch movies. If there's a movie they like, no matter what the material, they would speak up.

Ted is a good example of a movie that was universally praised by critics, despite the subject matter.
Ted is a PC romantic comedy compared to this. It's NOTHING compared to it