The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Hitchcock film - watch order

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #165920  by Julius Seeker
 Sun May 17, 2015 8:53 pm
Over the next few months I am going to attempt to watch as many Hitchcock films as are available. Until recently, I hadn't watched many films made prior to 1980 or so; nearly all have been historical drama/fiction films like Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur, The Vikings, Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, Cleopatra, etc... but over the last few years that has been changing. Recently I began watching Hitchcock, and I have found his mix of dark comedy, mystery, and suspense to be very appealing.

His movies do have a unique flavour. From the ones I have seen,I would start with the following 5 in this order:

1. Rear Window
2. Rebecca
3. Psycho
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much - 1956 remake.
5. Vertigo

Rear Window - is a great starting point for the reason that it introduces a large amount of his style. If you like this, chances are very likely you'll like much of his other work too.

If you've seen Phone Booth, this the a much deeper, better, film which inspired that. Rear Window does have what many may describe as a gimmick, where the camera is confined to one room; though, the camera works very well, given that the main character himself is confined due to a broken leg. The film will also leave you wondering if the main character is on to something, or is just crazy. I think everyone here has seen the classic Simpsons parody of Rear Window; if you have, you needn't worry about being spoiled of the outcome - while the plot is similar, it is different in details. The setting has the main character peering into the apartments of several of his neighbours, due to the very hot weather, everyone has their windows wide open.

Rebecca - is a good second choice. Reason being that it is Hitchcock's first American work, produced in 1940. It also has similar pacing and structure to many of his other films: a slower build-up, a turning point followed by a highly engaging second half that brings it all together; or throws your whole perception right on your head. Rebecca also won the Academy Award for best picture.

Psycho - is such a famous movie that the plot is already spoiled for many before they ever see it. I had seen the shower scene parodied many times before I actually saw the movie for the first time back when I was still in University. It might be one worth saving for Halloween marathon movie night, as it is one of the best horror movies in existence. Despite being mimicked hundreds of times now, it is still a great watch. This is a Rebecca style plot, but with much more suspense, and with a very entertaining character in Norman Bates.

The Man Who Knew Too Much - Hitchcock made this movie twice, once in the 30's and once in the 50's; I watched was the 1950's one. This is a great example of a Hitchcock adventure film. The opera house assassination scene is phenomenal, and has been no doubt inspirational for the similar scenes in Final Fantasy 6 and Assassin's Creed 3. That's all I want to say about this one. I haven't seen North by Northwest, which is another adventure style Hitchcock film.

ImageImage

Vertigo - It has a slow set-up, but a very satisfying second half that brings everything to light, which is why I have it further down the list. This one has such a fantastic story; my favourite of all of the Hitchcock films. It's very much on the darker side. More than any movie in some time, this one has really dwelt on my mind, even to now; a week after watching it. It might be one of the most satisfying movies I have ever seen. If anything at all, this movie is beautiful. If you liked Rebecca, definitely give this one a watch.

Notorious - I am a huge fan of both Claude Rains and Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca; add Cary Grant to the mix, and a lot of critical praise, and this movie should be solid. Only I didn't really find myself too attached. It's not that it isn't a well made movie, it's stylistically great. While watching it, I was looking for that Rebecca style turning point - and that didn't come. This movie has more of a traditional Build up, to escalation, to climax & resolution structure. It's kind of like a Bond or Mission Impossible movie, except without the action. I watched this one late at night, I may have been too tired for it. Despite my less than positive review, watch it still; if you liked the first five, it is possible you may see something great in the film that I didn't.

Strangers on a Train - This is a very entertaining suspenseful dark-comedy thriller. Despite it's really wacky story, the characters are a lot of fun. Bruno is especially entertaining, and kind of reminds me of a cross between Edward Norton from Rounders, a young Bill Murray, and Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager; you could say he's the Norman Bates of this movie in terms on his entertainment value - although a far more outgoing character. This one comes highly recommended by many lists, but, like Notorious, it wasn't quite my thing; but, unlike Notorious, I totally get why people love this one; Bruno is the main reason. The movie begins with two strangers meeting on a train, one of them suggests that the two of them have someone in their lives they would like to be rid of, and suggests a trade of targets - Bruno murders Guy's wife, and Guy murders Bruno's father - they could get away with it because no one would trace complete strangers to their respective murders.
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Mon May 18, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #165925  by Eric
 Mon May 18, 2015 5:54 am
Did you actually buy these are are they available to watch via streaming service somewhere?