The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Wolfie, hopefully this won't be buried when you get back. A continuation of our Memento discussion

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #48012  by New and Improved Zeus
 Mon Dec 24, 2001 1:55 pm
<div style='font: 9pt ; text-align: left; '>I'm really inclined to believe that Teddy was a real cop. Yeah, you can read into it that he might have been another guy bullshitting Lenny, but it just fits way too well. How else would Teddy have known about all the other stuff, with his wife and shit? Stuff that Lenny knew in detail, such as the events before he hit his head. Also, how the hell would he have known Lenny to begin with? I mean, yeah, he tells everyone "I have this condition" but man, he gets hella good intelligence about where everyone is. Is it really that hard to believe the cop would have felt sorry for him, decided to help him out, then say "Hey, I could use this guy to get rid of a lot of assholes who I can't do shit about 'cause of all this red tape?". That's the whole power thing coming into play. Also, it explains how Lenny can go about his business with no cops breathing down his neck. He need protection. There are strong arguments that Teddy wasn't a cop, but IMO, not nearly as strong those indicating he had to be one.

Also, for Natalie to not have known that Teddy was involved in the killing of Jimmy when she gave Lenny the copy of the drivers licence is too much of a coincidence to me. Let's face it, she would have no clue who Teddy was if it wasn't for Lenny writing down the licence plate at the end (beginning) of the film, but I'm sure she was able to piece it together. After all, both Jimmy and Teddy were "John G.'s". She also had connections I'm sure. Jimmy seemed like a bit of a big shot, which would explain why he had $100,000 in his trunk, so I'm sure she would be able to hit on some of those connections.

But isn't that the fun of this movie, all the different possibilities? To me, it just fits much better the way I explained it above, but that's not to say that it's the only possibility.</div>

#48013  by G-man Joe
 Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:26 pm
<div style='font: 11pt "comic sans MS"; text-align: left; '>That movie needed ninjas lopping people's heads off. But I'm on caffiene....so ignore me. =8^D</div>
 #48050  by S.Cody2
 Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:41 am
<div style='font: 10pt "Times New Roman"; text-align: left; '>Teddy was a (crooked) cop. Sure, there could have been a neat litle turnaround near the end suggesting he actually did do it, but there was a plot twist, and it wasn't his surprise guilt. This movie doesn't have an open ending - it has an intentionally disturbing one. Great film, though.</div>