The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Just got back from trip to NYC

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #49353  by Tessian
 Sun May 19, 2002 1:24 am
<div style='font: 11pt Dominion; text-align: left; '>Haven't been there in a year (and then it was only to play at the Statue with a bunch of middle schoolers) so this was nice. We went there to see some shows (band trip): Phantom of the Opera (which was pretty decent except for the fact that the chandelier looked like a spaceship), some Winton Marcelus thing (turned out to be a little kid's thing; an educational lesson in Samba crap), and Stomp which made the entire show worth it.

Stomp was EXCELLENT. I thought it would just be Blast with random objects as instruments, but boyy was I wrong. It's a lot smaller than Blast (although more successful). Whereas Blast is 30-some people playing musical instruments and doing color guard to known songs in a highly coordinated and pleasing manner, Stomp is 8 people total turning everyday objects into musical instruments in such a catchy, entertaining and pleasing manner you'd think that'd be enough to wow the audience, but no, they do comedy too. I can't explain most of it, but some of the things these guys did were HILLARIOUS, and there was some pretty funny audience interaction. From brooms to boxes of matches to sinks (you heard me; they WORE sinks around their necks, with water and dishes) to 3 ft barrels and, of course, trash cans. GREAT show, best I've ever seen; go see it :)

Oh, and we passed by Ground Zero too; not much to look at with it nearly being all cleaned up, but seeing the pit and damaged nearby buildings was something to behold. Even the ditsy girls were shocked by the sight.</div>