The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Mahoromatic

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #62282  by Don
 Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:28 pm
<div style='font: 12pt ; text-align: left; '>If you haven't seen the first season of Mahoromatic, I highly recommend it. This is one of the very few Anime I enjoyed even though I have seen just one episode (the last one, which is all you need to see anyway). I have heard the second season is somehow more screwed up than the manga (since the manga didn't end when it come out) so I can't really recommend that (or the manga past season 1) to anyone.

The premise of Mahoromatic starts out like any human versus alien story. Earth is at a secret war with a group of aliens known as the Saints who, as expected, possess way better technology. Mahoro, the obligatory last-hope Android, has been the one saving Earth from total destruction, and she is going to be retired and has roughly 400 days to live before she shuts down. In her remaining time she chose to become a maid for Suguru to atone for killing his father in the war (it's a shoot the hostage kind of thing).

I believe the subtitle of Mahoromatic season 1 is "Something More Beautiful", and I'm sure that means how the series looks like when all you know is the above. Mahoromatic is a great example of an anime or a game that gets worse as it gets more complicated. It turned out that the Saints are a dying race. Saints used to be like humans with all the usual host of problems that comes with being human (war, pollution, etc., etc). So, the Saints created a perfect AI conscious called Matthew. Actually, even though 99% Chinese renaming turned out to be bogus, the Chinese version had Matthew as "God of the Stars" was dead-on. No doubt Matthew was some stupid religious reference to the bible because Matthew was a girl and I sure don't know any girls named Matthew. Matthew's mission was to solve all the problems of the Saints and make them into the perfect race. And she did.

But Matthew, as an AI entity, does not believe in carnal pleasures. The race of Saints that Matthew melded them into lost interest in reproduction, and Matthew realized that her race of people is going to die out at their current reproduction rate. As the series start, I think the Saints population are down to thousands. But Matthew didn't want to undo her work, so she sent thousands of spaceships to seek help from other races. That's when she found Earth, a race that lives in a world nearly identical to the Saint's home planet who obviously has no population shortage problem. So Matthew sent a diplomat ship to Earth, which, predictably, gets shot down by Earthlings and all the Saints onboard was captured. Realizing Earthlings aren't exactly peaceloving, Matthew was torn between letting the Saints die or undo her work by letting the Saints mix with Earthlings. In the end, Matthew she made an Android in her image and sent her to the Earthlings to observe them (*cough* Jesus *cough*) and waged a fake war on Earthlings, hoping this would allow Earth to see the futility of trying to fight the Saints. Since Mahoro was Matthew's copy, and Matthew never goes into battle herself, of course the Saint's attack on Earth turned out to be ineffective.

Of course, this renders the whole premise of the series, i.e. Mahoro's remaining time to live, absolutely meaningless when you find out she's got God backing her up if anything actually goes wrong. Predictably Matthew just took Mahoro's data and duplicated her again when she did shut down (and saving Earth in the process because Matthew was too lazy to use her Death Star orbiting Earth to shoot down a stray 20km asteroid). In the end Matthew just uncloaked her Death Star (well, it had another name, but it certainly reminded me of one) and showed Earth how foolish they were to even try to defy her, and the Earthlings wised up and agreed to have Saint's children and Earth ruled the galaxy with the Saints technology (the Saints never cared about conquest, they just want their race to survive). Suguru not only had what's essentially God's daughter as his girlfriend but he went from a nerd collecting adult magazines to a twin lightsaber wielding Jedi Master on steroids (with Saints technology, of course). It's like every anime nerd's dream come true!

Anyway, my recommendation would be to see season 1, or volume 1-3 on the manga, and stay away from rest of it.</div>