The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• Best SW movie

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.

#86519  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 10, 2005 3:17 am
TheForce.net wrote:To put it simply, it’s probably the best of the prequels. If you were to ask me to rank all of the films, I’d probably put them in the following order from best to worst: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace.
What the fuck?! Everybody knows that Return of the Jedi was the best SW movie.

#86530  by Tortolia
 Tue May 10, 2005 8:01 am
Empire for the win.

#86532  by SineSwiper
 Tue May 10, 2005 8:36 am
Why? Luke was such a pussy in that one.

#86534  by Lox
 Tue May 10, 2005 9:25 am
Tortolia wrote:Empire for the win.
I agree. Empire is the best, imo though I might put Jedi in front of ANH just for personal tastes. :)

#86540  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 10, 2005 10:42 am
I like them in this order:

Return of the Jedi (I agree with Sine, this one is clearly the best film)
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope

Though it's difficult to say because it has been a long time since I have watched the entire version of any movie, I think Return of the Jedi is the only one I can watch all the way through and still be entertained.

#86545  by Zeus
 Tue May 10, 2005 10:50 am
SineSwiper wrote:
TheForce.net wrote:To put it simply, it’s probably the best of the prequels. If you were to ask me to rank all of the films, I’d probably put them in the following order from best to worst: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, The Phantom Menace.
What the fuck?! Everybody knows that Return of the Jedi was the best SW movie.
Guess you don't know how much that movie was lambasted for being too "kiddy" and "cute" back in 1983, particularly considering it came after what most critics believe is the best in the series. You thought there was an outcry over Jar Jar? People HATED the Ewoks with a passion back then

#86549  by Lox
 Tue May 10, 2005 11:00 am
The Seeker wrote:Return of the Jedi (I agree with Sine, this one is clearly the best film)
Obviously not. :)

#86551  by the Gray
 Tue May 10, 2005 11:06 am
Oh man, Empire Strikes Back is easily the best.

Followed by

A New Hope
RoTJ
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith will have to wait for its placing. I'm hoping it can crack the top 3.

#86558  by Kupek
 Tue May 10, 2005 11:28 am
Empire. I used to like Jedi more, but Empire is more character driven and has better interaction between the characters, better writing and better acting. Harrison Ford delivers some great lines in this film, and he does it superbly.

I enjoy the climax of Jedi over any of the others, but as a whole, I like Empire better.

#86564  by Lox
 Tue May 10, 2005 12:56 pm
Kupek wrote:
The Seeker wrote:Fuck the Starwars fans. They were just embarased over those characters for no good reason. I bet Freud would say it is because they are insecure about their manhood.
Why do you always try to justify your opinions by arguing that people who disagree with you have some psychological problems? Personally, I do find it a little silly to watch a bunch of walking teddy bears get the best of elite soliders.
I always thought it was funny how these elite soliders of the Empire are taken out by these little bears throwing rocks at them.

#86568  by Lox
 Tue May 10, 2005 1:16 pm
The Seeker wrote:Those "Elite" soldiers suck anyways, they have worse aim than Bond villains, of course a warrior tribe of Ewoks will be able to kick their asses. I do not think Ewoks are any sillier than the whole concept of light sabers and death stars.
That's just it. How the heck does the Empire keep control when the Storm Troopers can't even hit their targets or best a bunch of living Teddy Ruxpin's!

#86571  by Flip
 Tue May 10, 2005 1:35 pm
My list is just like everyone elses: ESB, aNH, RotJ, CW, tPM

ESB had a nice dark tone to it (darker than any other so far); that coupled with the Roth fight, Lando, the major 'revealing', Vader being at his most badass and the characters still looking young and fresh makes it the best.

RotJ, Hamil just got ugly and the ewoks annoy me. RotJ did have the best Emperor lines, though.

#86573  by Julius Seeker
 Tue May 10, 2005 2:09 pm
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote:Those "Elite" soldiers suck anyways, they have worse aim than Bond villains, of course a warrior tribe of Ewoks will be able to kick their asses. I do not think Ewoks are any sillier than the whole concept of light sabers and death stars.
That's just it. How the heck does the Empire keep control when the Storm Troopers can't even hit their targets or best a bunch of living Teddy Ruxpin's!
You never know, let Teddy Ruxpin grow up in a warrior tride, and give him a spear and I bet he could be fairly dangerous. Remember the Moggles? They're just little Bear creatures as well, and tough as f***!

On the Storm Troopers though, they'd been around for quite a while by the time Episode 4 came out, maybe arthritis is a common disease among clones. You never know!

Mental, lighten up a bit man! The Shrine is hardly a professional setting. It's our messageboard that we have been on for 8 years strait now, most of us. If you find my comments offensive, then I would highly recommend not watching a lot of TV, 80% of the stuff on it nowadays can be taken offensively, and most of it is a hell of a lot more offensive than anything I ever say.

#86574  by Agent 57
 Tue May 10, 2005 2:27 pm
1) ESB. Best "movie" insofar as movies go.

2) aNH. Best starfighter combat (I am a total sucker for starfighter combat).

3) RotJ. Just watched this the other day, actually (my new GF had never seen the original trilogy, amazingly enough). Ian McDarmid is <i>excellent</i> as the Emperor and there's Vader's redemption, the steel bikini, and Han's shit-ton of great lines to temper the Ewok cuteness.

(tie) 4) tPM, AotC. tPM has pod race/Darth Maul fight marred by Jar Jar/excessive cuteness/midichlorians, and AotC has mass Jedi battles marred by <i>horrendous</i> acting and pathetically cheesy Amidala wardrobe pandering.

#86577  by Lox
 Tue May 10, 2005 2:47 pm
Agent 57 wrote:1) ESB. Best "movie" insofar as movies go.

2) aNH. Best starfighter combat (I am a total sucker for starfighter combat).

3) RotJ. Just watched this the other day, actually (my new GF had never seen the original trilogy, amazingly enough). Ian McDarmid is <i>excellent</i> as the Emperor and there's Vader's redemption, the steel bikini, and Han's shit-ton of great lines to temper the Ewok cuteness.

(tie) 4) tPM, AotC. tPM has pod race/Darth Maul fight marred by Jar Jar/excessive cuteness/midichlorians, and AotC has mass Jedi battles marred by <i>horrendous</i> acting and pathetically cheesy Amidala wardrobe pandering.
Ah yes...the steel bikini...I forgot about that. That makes the movie, imo. :)

hehe

McDarmid is awesome in RotJ. I saw the middle on Sunday when it was on TV cuz I had forgotten how sweet his lines were.

#86587  by Eric
 Tue May 10, 2005 4:04 pm
Empire Strikes Back was the best. ;p

#86614  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue May 10, 2005 7:05 pm
Clearly the order goes...

Empire
Return
A New Hope
Phantom Menace
Clone Wars

We'll see what Sith has to offer before I try ranking it.

#86632  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 11, 2005 1:05 am
I really don't care about the Ewoks in the movie. Jar Jar was annoying because he talked like an annoying stereotypical Jamacian. The Ewoks were at least cute, and their language was some cute little chimpmunks type thing. I loved Leia's first encounter with them, and CP3O's telling their story to them (complete with sound effects).

It was a comedy highlight to an otherwise fairly serious end of a series. RttJ was an example of Luke at his most calm (beginning) and most emotional (end).

#86655  by Zeus
 Wed May 11, 2005 9:28 am
You would LOVE the sequel trilogy by Zaun, then.

#86658  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 11, 2005 9:33 am
I think I've talked about those books before. I've said numerous times that Lucas better make some movies outta those. I like Seeker's idea of a CG or cartoon film. Shit, it's a good reason to buy back Pixar.

#86661  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 9:38 am
As far as Starwars goes. Objectively, Episode I and Episode II are the best; why?

1) They have better acting. The cast of the original movies did not know how to act very well, each line sounded fake and forced. The acting had a very outdated feel to it, even for the time period it arrived in.

2) They have better action. The original Starwars movies had action so fake looking that it was almost painful to watch. Even the Blue Screen was terrible.

3) They have a better plot. It is quite obvious that there is much more plot development in the newer ones, as the old ones had a lot of scenes that were wasted on exploration and stuff like that. The way the plot was put together int he older ones did seem a lot less refined.

People who critisize the newer movies come up with dumb excuses like "Oh, I hate the movies because of Jar Jar and Ewoks. They are so childish, long live the power of the force! I will smite you down with my light saber for disagreeing with me!"

Truth be told, it has nothing to do with Ewoks, that is just some unreasonable justification.

The movies are all actually quite similar in almost every aspect. There is nothing deeper about The Empire Strikes Back or a New Hope, if anything they suffer from a strong feeling of outdatedness.

What is the major difference? The major difference is that the main characters of the original two are little people. They're Hobbits. A farmer who is thrown into an epic adventure, just like Bilbo, or just like Frodo, Sam, Pippin, and Merry. Somehow such stories strongly appeal to "plebs" (what is it that commoners are called nowadays?) or the pop audience.

The newer Starwars movies focus on better people, blue bloods, royalty, and politics; a much larger scale than the farm boy and his exploration; but essentially the same setting, same character attitudes, same everything. The major difference is the knowledge that one set of characters has a Noble background and are already heroes, while the others just happened to find out that they could be heroic because of some hidden thing in their family histories that they didn't know about. Starwars Episode 4 and 5 are about ignorant people just like the Hobbits in Lord of thwe Rings =P

On my personal opinion:

I find the plots to the newer movies more interesting, just as I find the plots of the Noble characters in Middle Earth more interesting; when I read Lord of the Rings; though I do enjoy the first section of Fellowship surrounding the Hobbits, later on it is all about Aragorn, Theoden, and the nobility. I much prefer the book, The Silmarillion, to the Lord of the Rings. That is not the pop-trend in things though; that is why Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, can be successful, but something like The Silmarillion would not be as popular; even though it is something I would much rather see.

Why do people prefer to hear the story about ignorant people performing great feats than knowledgeable people performing great feats? Because the majority of people are ignorant, and can relate to ignorant characters. I know most people don't like to be called ignorant, but most people are not all knowledgeable great people, they are ignorant plebians, so an ignorant plebian character is who they can relate to. I am not saying there is anything wrong with being an ignorant plebian, but it does not mean that stories about great and Noble people are any less good than those that are not. It is all just a matter of personal subjective opinion. However, when you take a look at acting, cinematics, and complexity and flowing of plot, there is quite a bit less subjectiveness about the matter.

Anyone want to tackle my argument? Of course without dismissing my argument simply because you don't like my language and take offense to being labeled as ignorant (unaware, lacking education, lacking knowledge on the subject at hand). Maybe I am arrogant if that's how people here view me, but this is still my argument; euphamism free =)

#86663  by Lox
 Wed May 11, 2005 9:56 am
The Seeker wrote:1) They have better acting. The cast of the original movies did not know how to act very well, each line sounded fake and forced. The acting had a very outdated feel to it, even for the time period it arrived in.
You kidding, right? I mean, you've seen Episode 1 & 2? Now, the acting in 4, 5, & 6 isn't mind-blowingly good, but there's no way I'd say 1 & 2 was even close to being better. I think what does it for me is that 2 of the central characters (Padme & Anakin) have some of the worst acting of the entire series.
The Seeker wrote:3) They have a better plot. It is quite obvious that there is much more plot development in the newer ones, as the old ones had a lot of scenes that were wasted on exploration and stuff like that. The way the plot was put together int he older ones did seem a lot less refined.
I definitely disagree with this. But then again, how can we judge that it's "better" anyhow? I liked the plot of 5 and 6 better than 1 & 2.
The Seeker wrote:People who critisize the newer movies come up with dumb excuses like "Oh, I hate the movies because of Jar Jar and Ewoks. They are so childish, long live the power of the force! I will smite you down with my light saber for disagreeing with me!"
Dude, you are so setting up a straw-man there. I love episode 2, really, but I still like 5 & 6 better and it has nothing to do with Jar Jar.

#86669  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 10:21 am
Lox wrote:
The Seeker wrote:1) They have better acting. The cast of the original movies did not know how to act very well, each line sounded fake and forced. The acting had a very outdated feel to it, even for the time period it arrived in.
You kidding, right? I mean, you've seen Episode 1 & 2? Now, the acting in 4, 5, & 6 isn't mind-blowingly good, but there's no way I'd say 1 & 2 was even close to being better. I think what does it for me is that 2 of the central characters (Padme & Anakin) have some of the worst acting of the entire series.
The Seeker wrote:3) They have a better plot. It is quite obvious that there is much more plot development in the newer ones, as the old ones had a lot of scenes that were wasted on exploration and stuff like that. The way the plot was put together int he older ones did seem a lot less refined.
I definitely disagree with this. But then again, how can we judge that it's "better" anyhow? I liked the plot of 5 and 6 better than 1 & 2.
The Seeker wrote:People who critisize the newer movies come up with dumb excuses like "Oh, I hate the movies because of Jar Jar and Ewoks. They are so childish, long live the power of the force! I will smite you down with my light saber for disagreeing with me!"
Dude, you are so setting up a straw-man there. I love episode 2, really, but I still like 5 & 6 better and it has nothing to do with Jar Jar.

Well then Lox, that statement on the ewoks has absolutely nothing to do with you then =P

But Episode 1 and 2, if you read my statement about the plot below, you will see why I believe people like the plot of that movie better. I do not feel from an objective standpoint that it was delivered nearly as well, I felt it did not run nearly as smoothly, and seemed to be cheaper. The nature of the story is what people like better.

On the acting, I am going to stand by my opinion that I felt the acting in the first two seemed to be 1950's action movie standard; or reminded me of a kung-fu movie. I just could not feel it. Sure of course, the other movies are not excellent, but certainly the originals didn't have anything like the acting put forth by Mcgreggor, Neeson, and some of the other characters. I didn't feel that Christensen or Portman was any worse than Hamil and Leia (forget who played her). I don't know if acting skill was really important in Star Wars though, they were all below average films in that category.

#86670  by Kupek
 Wed May 11, 2005 10:23 am
Lox wrote:You kidding, right? I mean, you've seen Episode 1 & 2? Now, the acting in 4, 5, & 6 isn't mind-blowingly good, but there's no way I'd say 1 & 2 was even close to being better. I think what does it for me is that 2 of the central characters (Padme & Anakin) have some of the worst acting of the entire series.
Actually, I've recently rewatched Empire, and I think that Harrison Ford is excellent in it. It's not just a good performance for Star Wars, it's a good performance, period. There's a reason that out of all of them, he's the one who went on to have the most succesful acting career, and I think it's because he gave the best performances. Carrie Fisher also does an excellent job in Empire, but I think it helps that she was working off of Ford.

Lil' Anakin is terrible to watch in Episode I. The Anakin/Padme scenes in Episode II are so painful to watch that I haven't sat through them since seeing them in the theatre. I've rewatched the action sequences quite a few times. Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor do as well as can be expected with bad dialouge and little direction.

#86671  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 10:26 am
I totally disagree on Harrison Ford. But that's just my opinion.

Anyways, "Lil' Anakin is terrible to watch in Episode I." I completely agree on this point. That is why when I redo this movie, I am cutting out nearly of all his scenes =P

#86672  by Agent 57
 Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 am
The Seeker wrote:As far as Starwars goes. Objectively, Episode I and Episode II are the best; why?

1) They have better acting. The cast of the original movies did not know how to act very well, each line sounded fake and forced. The acting had a very outdated feel to it, even for the time period it arrived in.
I will disagree with you vehemently here, with the exception of aNH (just about everybody in that stunk, except for Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin)). By the time ESB came out, everyone was comfortable with their roles and the acting was much better across the board, including particularly good performances from Frank Oz, Billy Dee Williams, and James Earl Jones.

Harrison Ford <i>perfected</i> Han Solo's character in RotJ, and as I already mentioned, Ian McDarmid was excellent as the Emperor. (Like Kupek, I recently rewatched the entire original trilogy.)

As far as the new movies go, I didn't have any huge problems with the acting in tPM with the exception of Jake Lloyd (there's cute, there's hyper-cute, there's "sugary for Ned Flanders' tastes", and then there's "Anny" Skywalker); but Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman's romantic scenes in AotC are laughably awful. (And I mean that literally - when I saw AotC in the theater on opening night, people in the crowd were laughing out loud every time they did one of those scenes.)
2) They have better action. The original Starwars movies had action so fake looking that it was almost painful to watch. Even the Blue Screen was terrible.
Chalk that up to budget and 25 years' advancement in choreography.

I will say that I like the effects in the original trilogy much more than in the newer ones. There's just something to be said for filming something that actually <i>exists</i> - a ship model, an alien, a robot, what have you - as opposed to all this fake-looking CG stuck in the middle of a live-action movie. Heck, there's a case in point from the original trilogy - the bloated, immobile RotJ Jabba the Hutt is much more menacing and believable than the CG Jabba from the special edition of aNH.
3) They have a better plot. It is quite obvious that there is much more plot development in the newer ones, as the old ones had a lot of scenes that were wasted on exploration and stuff like that. The way the plot was put together int he older ones did seem a lot less refined.
More does not always mean better. At this point, I'm still not entirely sure who's on what side and why in the Clone Wars - of course, I should qualify that by saying I've only seen AotC once (mostly because I haven't had the slightest desire to see it again).

Anyway, back to making a point here - you're right, the plot in the original trilogy is not that complicated. Good wins a battle against evil, evil gets some back, evil tries to trap good in order to crush it and gets foiled, good that turned evil turns back to good, the end. It's straightforward stuff that everybody can easily relate to.

The plot in the new trilogy is more along the lines of "bloated, outdated political system is drawing near to the end of its life cycle, so evil starts subtle machinations to manipulate events to its benefit and in the meantime, other exciting stuff happens." It's not exactly riveting, harder to follow attentively and harder for your average moviegoer to relate to.

Of course, the previous argument just feeds your arrogance, as I'm sure you could say something like "that just proves my point that the original trilogy is written for the lowest common denominator, and thus the new trilogy is automatically better." To which I say again, sometimes the simple route is the better route.
People who critisize the newer movies come up with dumb excuses like "Oh, I hate the movies because of Jar Jar and Ewoks. They are so childish, long live the power of the force! I will smite you down with my light saber for disagreeing with me!"
First of all, Ewoks were in the original trilogy. (When I have the chance to geekily nitpick, I'm going to take it.)

Second of all, I don't like the new trilogy less than the new one because of Jar Jar (although he is a factor). I like them less because they have the stink of Hollywood all over them. They smack having things put in there solely because that's what their demographic research reported people would like, and there is blatant pandering all over the place that has nothing to do with the story - the chief example of this being the midriff of Amidala's shirt being torn off during the fight in the pit in AotC, the <i>only point</i> of which was to show off Natalie Portman's abs. (In constrast, the steel bikini made sense in the context of RotJ's story.)
What is the major difference? The major difference is that the main characters of the original two are little people. They're Hobbits. A farmer who is thrown into an epic adventure, just like Bilbo, or just like Frodo, Sam, Pippin, and Merry. Somehow such stories strongly appeal to "plebs" (what is it that commoners are called nowadays?) or the pop audience.
Dude, 99% of all adventure stories are like that - or have you not been paying attention to the RPG's you've been playing most of your life? Just about every single one of them takes the form of "normal person, who could be JUST LIKE YOU, turns out to be fantastically important in the grand scheme of things, goes on grand adventure, and saves the world."
Why do people prefer to hear the story about ignorant people performing great feats than knowledgeable people performing great feats? Because the majority of people are ignorant, and can relate to ignorant characters.
That's a <i>lovely</i> attitude to have, and that's just fantastic for you then. You'll have to tell us how the weather is up on that high horse of yours.

If you have a moment out of your busy, "vastly more important than everyone else" schedule, would you care to explain the massive popularity of things like "The Da Vinci Code", where the main characters are all extremely knowledgeable in their chosen fields? Or the "Indiana Jones" movies, where the main character is a college professor/archaeologist? Or "CSI", where the main characters are highly trained forensics experts?

#86677  by Lox
 Wed May 11, 2005 11:14 am
Kupek wrote:Actually, I've recently rewatched Empire, and I think that Harrison Ford is excellent in it. It's not just a good performance for Star Wars, it's a good performance, period. There's a reason that out of all of them, he's the one who went on to have the most succesful acting career, and I think it's because he gave the best performances. Carrie Fisher also does an excellent job in Empire, but I think it helps that she was working off of Ford.
I totally agree with you. As I was writing my response to Seeker, I was thinking that I thought Ford's acting was excellent but I had a 10am meeting and it was 9:55 so I couldn't get in all the ideas I wanted to. :)

#86678  by SineSwiper
 Wed May 11, 2005 11:15 am
I think it's worth pointing out that 1, 3, and 4 were written solely by Lucas. The rest were not. It seems like the more Lucas has a part of the dialogue, the greater the chance that he screws it up.

I'm not going to completely blame even Hayden Christensen for his acting, because if he doesn't have the dialogue for it, it's going to look like his acting is bad. Also, I'll wait for Episode 3 before I reserve judgement on him.

And Episode 1 sucked hard and long. One was Jar Jar. Two was the stupid pod race. Three was Little Orphan Anni. Seeing him blow up a Star Destroyer all by himself was extremely painful to watch. It makes me want to scream at Lucas for using such a horrible plot device.

#86679  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 11:22 am
Actually Agent, I can agree with almost everything you say. However, I think I should make one thing clear. I really liked Return of the Jedi, it's my favourite of the 5 films released so far. The reason I liked it better than the newer two is for many of the reasons you listed as flaws in the newer ones.

I'll give Empire Strikes Back another chance soon (I am planning on watching it soon when I rip the whole series from DVD and do my own cutting for it.).

As far as the whole ignorant plebian does great deeds thing; yeah, that is a large portion of fantasy and RPG's. Not all of them though, Final Fantasy 8, my favourite RPG does not follow that story, either does my second-to least favourte RPG Final Fantasy II on SNES. Or Ogre Battle, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or a lot of my favourite RPG's. A large portion do though, and it is kind of a story which I can appreciate, but I do not think anyone did it better than Tolkien in the fantasy genre; that is why I generally dislike seeing this story. Though I do like Braveheart's take on it; but not Starwars Episode 4's. The whole story also DOES appeal to the largest crowd of people (because mose people are ignorant just like the characters), would you disagree with that?

But here's a question for you, you didn't like A New Hope, why is it the most popular of the series if not for the reasons I listed? (well, second most popular here at the Shrine).

"You'll have to tell us how the weather is up on that high horse of yours."

Sunny =)
Last edited by Julius Seeker on Wed May 11, 2005 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

#86681  by Don
 Wed May 11, 2005 11:45 am
Agent 57 wrote: If you have a moment out of your busy, "vastly more important than everyone else" schedule, would you care to explain the massive popularity of things like "The Da Vinci Code", where the main characters are all extremely knowledgeable in their chosen fields? Or the "Indiana Jones" movies, where the main character is a college professor/archaeologist? Or "CSI", where the main characters are highly trained forensics experts?
I'd say that's actually because the public is ignorant and will be more comfortable in their ignorance following a character that's allgedly smarter than they are. It's really easy when you see a character say like 'the flux conjunction of the beta omega is out of balance' and figure that since you've no idea what the heck was just said and you're told that this guy is smart it must mean something really cool. Now I have nothing against characters who are experts as opposed to peasants, but it's annoying when a writer tries to create an expert and lacks the intelligence or expertise to back it up. Things like 'geniuses' are dangerous to use, because it is almost certain that the writer is not one and can't possibly comprehend how one might act.

#86683  by Don
 Wed May 11, 2005 11:53 am
Funny FF8 was brought up. This is one of the best example of the writer not having the ability to command his characters. In a game where the greatest triumph comes from leadership, not raw power, Squall Leonheart failed miserably to assert himself as a leader of the Garden. We're supposed to believe that Squall oozes charisma just the same way as Laguna and that people congregate around him even though the only motivating thing he'd say to his friends is to go talk to a wall. Inexplicably, his lack of ability to lead earned him the position of motivating the world's last hope against all evil.

#86685  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 12:05 pm
I actually felt different about Squalls character; I did not think that Nojima was trying to make him out to be charasmatic. I felt that Nojima was trying to portray him as an elitest and rather cold character. I also felt that he had the leadership position because of his accomplishments rather than charisma. People looked up to Squall because he was indeed powerful and did not lose his confidence in front of the people. Laguna, I have always argued is the exact opposite of Squall.

#86687  by Zeus
 Wed May 11, 2005 1:07 pm
SineSwiper wrote:I like Seeker's idea of a CG or cartoon film. Shit, it's a good reason to buy back Pixar.
And now you're confusing me with Seeker? Hey, just because we both think Nintendo makes the best games, we're not the same person :-)

#86692  by Agent 57
 Wed May 11, 2005 2:56 pm
Seeker wrote:The whole story also DOES appeal to the largest crowd of people (because mose people are ignorant just like the characters), would you disagree with that?
Not entirely. I do agree that aNH's story could appeal to more people because of the "normal person gets sucked into adventure" angle that more "normal people" can relate to, but there are a few things I'd like to say in relation to your argument:

1) Yes, Luke is just a farm boy, and yes, Han & Chewie are both just smugglers. Leia, however, is a princess and an Imperial Senator, while Obi-Wan is a former general. Not all of the characters are uneducated hicks as you seem so fond of pointing out.

2) Could it be within the realm of possibility that people can relate to the story because of its classic simplicity, as I mentioned? That people can say to themselves, "These Rebels don't like they way things are being run by this evil Empire, and they're fighting for their lives and their freedom. Wow, I can totally identify with that!"?
Seeker wrote:But here's a question for you, you didn't like A New Hope, why is it the most popular of the series if not for the reasons I listed? (well, second most popular here at the Shrine).
Did you not read my earlier post in which I ranked the five films, and chose aNH as my second favorite? All I said about aNH in the negative was that the acting sucked (which it does) - that doesn't mean I don't like it.

And I already mentioned why I liked it - kickass starfighter battle scenes (the Falcon's encounter with the TIE fighters, and the Battle of Yavin), in addition to the "plucky rebels score a victory against an evil and seemingly insurmountable foe." You get caught up rooting for the underdog, you know?
Don Wang wrote:I'd say that's actually because the public is ignorant and will be more comfortable in their ignorance following a character that's allgedly smarter than they are.
If one agrees with that, then wouldn't that give even less credence to Seeker's argument that "ignorant" people identify more with "ignorant" heroes? Wouldn't it therefore be more desireable/comfortable to follow a wise and noble character who can't be questioned than to follow someone more like them, who could be prone to mistakes?

#86695  by Julius Seeker
 Wed May 11, 2005 4:21 pm
It would appear so, but if you look at the format of those shows, the enjoyment factor likely comes from something other than the plot or characters. It might be the suspense, I can't really say for certain since I know nothing of any of those shows. Starwars is all about the plot and the action.

#86711  by Flip
 Wed May 11, 2005 9:45 pm
Youve never seen Indiana Jones?

#86715  by Ishamael
 Thu May 12, 2005 12:06 am
Empire, though like Kupek I used to enjoy Jedi more. ANH has always been third for me.

I think one of the reasons I latched onto Jedi at an early age is because that movie has a space battle that has never been topped in *any* movie since. Not bad for 20 years ago.

Eventually though, I became drawn to the deeper, story of Empire, with all of it's revelations, consequences of those revelations, etc. I used to not like it as much at first because it just sorta ends in the middle of nowhere.

#86716  by Ishamael
 Thu May 12, 2005 12:11 am
Ugh, DON'T remind me of "Ani" from Ep 1. Casting kids in lead roles of serious movies is tough. I think the best one to pull it off was the kid in 6th Sense.

Anyway, whenever Lucas intentionally and unabashedly markets to toddlers (Ewoks, Lil Ani, Jar Jar), it ALWAYS comes off dismal failure. I wish he would have just given it up. In many ways, Ep 2 was Ep 1 only without this ridiculous kissing up to little kids. Yeah the love story was awkward, but not nearly as annoying as Ani, Jar Jar, and "Roger! Roger!" robots.

#86770  by SineSwiper
 Fri May 13, 2005 3:31 am
I don't mind the droids too much. They can actually be humor at times, especially with R2D2's invisable dialogue.

#86815  by Oracle
 Sat May 14, 2005 4:14 am
Phantom Menace is easily the best of the series.

Why?

Because it resulted in more people being angry at Star Wars than ever before. How is that bad?

#86817  by Julius Seeker
 Sat May 14, 2005 7:57 am
Oracle wrote:Phantom Menace is easily the best of the series.

Why?

Because it resulted in more people being angry at Star Wars than ever before. How is that bad?
Heh, and most of those were the loudmouthed Starwars fans =P

That's one way of judging movies =)

#86846  by Torgo
 Sun May 15, 2005 1:47 am
Empire is definitely my favorite, mainly for the reasons Kupek mentioned. By the way, Irvin Kershner is one of the more interesting directors to do a commentary. He talks about various aspects of moviemaking in a simple but entertaining way. I would have loved to attend one of his classes.

I used to knock on Jedi a lot, but I think the prequels made me appreciate it much more. I found events such as Yoda's death and Vader's unmasking affected me more than they used to. For all its flaws (re: Ewoks) it's a very fitting conclusion to the saga.
SineSwiper wrote: don't mind the droids too much. They can actually be humor at times, especially with R2D2's invisable dialogue.
Excluding Episode 2, I feel the same way

#86849  by Nev
 Sun May 15, 2005 2:30 am
Why does everyone hate the Ewoks?

I mean, I hate Jar Jar, but it's because his character is one-sided (and speaks black slave English, whose good idea was that?), not because he's childish and "cute" (which he really isn't anyway).

Personally I thought the Ewoks were incredibly cute and actually pretty believable. And it's not like it was THAT unrealistic, at least within the framework of the Star Wars universe - they get fried by the dozens by those scout walkers. They had more real-looking faces too - like little crosses between dogs and bears or something.

Actually, that's something I really miss about the first three. The non-human species all looked pretty "realistic", or at least believable to me, which is not something I can say about the Gungans, for instance. The boss Gungan especially was so facially anthropomorphized that he almost looked like a cartoon.

Since a vew people have mentioned the Anakin/Amidala love scenes - they're back in III, as I'd mentioned, and I actually thought they were more painful to sit through than they were in II. It was one of those love scenes that drove me out of the theater and into the loving arms of the Westwood Arcade for about half the movie.

(Mental shudders in remembrance)

Anyway, I am pretty appalled that I actually paid for a ticket to go see it again, but these are friends I haven't seen in literally a year...I really do think I will bring earplugs to the theatre.

#86927  by EsquE
 Mon May 16, 2005 12:42 am
Oh god...why would anyone want to bring up this topic?

It can only lead to the dark side...

I'll give you my list sometime after I see Episode 3. While I doubt Episode 3 could surpass Empire for number 1 in my heart, I might as well wait for the complete list...

And while I didn't read anyone else's responses above, let me throw in my 2 cents on the arguments I know are already there...

- Jar Jar sucks (but not because of racial stereotypes)

- The Ewoks suck

- Hayden Christiansen is a very good actor (see: Life as a House), but Lucas cannot write romantic dialogue worth shit. Watch Clones again and check out the scenes where he doesn't have to deal with dialogue and can just act (right after his mother dies, when he first kisses Padme)

- So is Natalie Portman.

- Ewan McGregor is GOD (that probably wasn't brought up...I just like to mention it)