The Other Worlds Shrine

Your place for discussion about RPGs, gaming, music, movies, anime, computers, sports, and any other stuff we care to talk about... 

• What animes are everyone watching right now?

• Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
Your favorite band sucks, and you have terrible taste in movies.
 #91663  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:20 pm
I am currently watching Naruto, Bleach, Beet the Vandel Buster, Naruto, He Is My Master, Eyeshield 21, Tsubasa Chronicle, Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Full Metal Panic The Second Raid, Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~, Mahou Sensei Negima, MaR, Princes of Tennis, and Rockman.EXE Axess. Curious to see what you all are watching.

#91664  by Don
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:53 pm
I thought Prince of Tennis anime ended a while ago with the trip to America thing.

Then again, maybe the Chinese message board gets them faster than here since I don't hear much about POT in the US area.

I'm looking forward to the Fate anime when it comes out next year. Other than that, I haven't watched Anime in a very long time because it's just hard to go back to inferior 2D graphics in the day of CG, and unlike manga, Anime could look better than it currently does.

#91665  by Imakeholesinu
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:29 pm
Mostly I've been re-watching some stuff, RahXephon was my most recent. I've been trying to get a handle on Ghost In The Shell:SAC and I still need to see Innocence. I'm going to try and pick up Wings of Honieames(SP?) at somepoint because Natsumi hasn't seen it. She just rented Spirited Away and is a big fan of the director. I think we are going to go see stealth soon and then I'm going to get Macross Plus and show her how much of a rip it was of Macross Plus. She wants to see Howl's Moving Castle, which does look pretty good so I may watch it at somepoint. I really want to watch Gundam Seed and Macross Zero, needless to say I love the big bot animes. Natsumi wants to see Evangelion, so I'll have to pick up the DVD's at somepoint, the new releases of it haven't been changed to much since the first one have they? Still want to see Samurai Chaloopo. Natsumi pointed out to me that the same girl that does Inuyasha did Ranma also. Still need to see FLCL and Chobits. Jin-Roh is also something I've wanted to see but haven't had the chance to pick up. I'm so behind.

I'm not really big into cutesy or comedy stories (IE Excel Saga). Serious stories with character development is what I'm looking for if anyone has any suggestions.

Pia Carrot? I heard it was somewhat of a trip, but I may watch this one because it looked kinda interesting. Like something out of Alice in Wonderland or the Strawberry Short Cake cartoons.

#91667  by Agent 57
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:45 pm
The GF and I are slowly working through the classics - we finished Eva a while back and are currently going through Escaflowne (we're so old school we're watching my VHS versions!).

I've also been to see a couple new releases in the theater in the past few months, Steamboy and Howl's Moving Castle, both of which I liked. Steamboy was fun to look at and HMC was a nice, character-driven fantasy story. I wouldn't call either one of them great - enjoyable is the word I'd choose.

BTW, Barret, I borrowed Pia Carrot from a friend a while back for the heck of it, and if you weren't already aware of this, it's hentai. Graphic, uncensored hentai no less, with a story that largely doesn't make any sense and female characters that all have exactly the same body once they take their clothes off. It has absolutely nothing to do with Alice In Wonderland, Strawberry Shortcake, or anything like that.

#91668  by Nev
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:05 pm
Absolutely none. But I'd be glad of recommendations on more serious, thought-provoking, or art-house-y anime (in the vein of Akira or Studio Ghibli stuff, and I also very much enjoyed Battle Angel despite it not being as highbrow as the aforementioned stuff due to its very imaginative setting). I just can't stand the cliched serial stuff.

#91672  by Tortolia
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:41 pm
I watched the run of Paranoia Agent earlier this week, but that's about it. I watch very little anime as compared to regular TV.

#91673  by Don
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:20 pm
I don't think Excel Saga was particularly good, but the whole point of Excel Saga is that it's a parody and some of the stuff they make fun of is pretty obscure at least to the American audience (like the Saint Seiya kill the other guy by atmospheric heat move) and it's obviously pointless if you don't know what they're making fun of.

#91676  by SineSwiper
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:10 pm
S-CRY-ed, Naruto. I'm still waiting on new episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist and GitS to appear on Adult Swim, but I may resort to fansubs if they don't hurry up. Occasionally I look at Paranoia Agent, but it looks to be a build up to some ultimately stupid punchline. I still need to finish up Samurai Champloo.

#91677  by M'k'n'zy
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:13 pm
Agent 57 wrote:
BTW, Barret, I borrowed Pia Carrot from a friend a while back for the heck of it, and if you weren't already aware of this, it's hentai. Graphic, uncensored hentai no less, with a story that largely doesn't make any sense and female characters that all have exactly the same body once they take their clothes off. It has absolutely nothing to do with Alice In Wonderland, Strawberry Shortcake, or anything like that.
Depends on what Pia Carrot you watch. Some of it is henti, but the non hentai stuff is available on AnimeSuki

#91680  by Manshoon
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:06 pm
Monster, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, and Xenosaga. Oh and Sine, you're not too far off the mark regarding Paranoia Agent. I watched the finale on Adult Swim a couple weeks ago, and calling it anticlimatic would be an understatement.

#91683  by Tortolia
 Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 pm
Paranoia Agent reminded me quite a bit of Persona 2.

#91813  by M'k'n'zy
 Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:50 pm
Manshoon wrote:Monster, Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, and Xenosaga. Oh and Sine, you're not too far off the mark regarding Paranoia Agent. I watched the finale on Adult Swim a couple weeks ago, and calling it anticlimatic would be an understatement.
I have heard Monster is quite good but I havent really been wanting to start another show, could you give me a brief plot summary of what tis about?

#91867  by Manshoon
 Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:30 am
Ok, well basically Kenzou Tenma, one of the most brilliant neurosurgeons in Japan, saves the life of Johan, a young boy with a bullet in his brain. He then disappears from the hospital along with his twin sister Anna without a trace. Ten years pass and Tenma meets with Johan again only to watch him murder someone right in front of his eyes. Tenma is then framed for the murder, and the series follows him as he travels across Germany and eastern Europe and attempts to find out about Johan's past, and eventually hunt down and kill Johan. The series gets weird at times (the scenes from the ending credits are from a book that has a lot of signifigance in the series), but overall it's pretty good and I recommend it if you're into the thriller/detective kind of thing.